Saturday, August 18, 2007

Hurricane Dean Increases in Strength

My family and I moved from Miami to Atlanta in Dec. 2005 after enduring 5 hurricanes in 18 short months. Because my Caribbean travel business is affected by any regional hurricanes, living in a hurricane zone myself was too difficult. So now, as I sit in the sunny comforts of my Atlanta office I remember the fear that many of my Caribbean friends and family are facing right now. Hurricane Dean quickly became a category 4 storm today and is likely to become a cat 5 before making landfall in Jamaica... my favorite island. I will be monitoring the storm as I can't stray too far from the office because of the many clients I have that are trying to adjust their travel plans around this storm. I am happy to know that my clients can easily reach me rather than waiting for extended periods to contact the airline or hotel if they had booked direct.

While each airline and each hotel chain do have full hurricane details on their websites by now, along with CNN, the Weather Channel and others, the state department's website is also helpful.

We sit, watch, wait, and hope for the best.