Friday, August 8, 2008

Caribbean Islands Represent at the Olympics

I am watching the Opening Ceremonies of the 2008 Summer Games and can't help but get excited as I see the Olympians parade across the screen representing so many places yet to be explored. As a child, I loved the Olympics. I loved being able to get a brief glimpse into the cultures and people who lived in the lands I wanted to explore. I was a child who preferred reading National Geographic and then tearing through my treasure chest of dress up clothes to see if I could recreate the outfits worn by the exotic people I read about... rather than playing with Barbies. Tonight I am reminded how great it is that even some of the smallest countries in the world, many located in my beloved Caribbean, have produced athletes for these games. Their smiles say it all... what an opportunity! I look forward to watching the events and giving my "virtual" support. Honestly, the Olympics are the ultimate reality TV show! Enjoy!