Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Interview with an Eco-Pro, Herbert Samuel

It seems every hotel I work with, is marketing some sort of eco advancement as everyone jumps on the eco-travel bandwagon. Thus, it is more important than ever to be aware that any hotel can announce their own "greenness" and market facts about their energy saving efforts. Only a Certified or Green Globe Certified hotel is in full compliance with internationally recognized standards.
Green Globe has been certifying hotels since 1993. The Caribbean is home to 63 Green Globe Certified Hotels & Tour Companies. Read about their high standards here.
During my research, I found Mr. Herbert Samuel. Herbert has recently been accredited as a Green Globe Certifications auditor for the Caribbean region. He is a graduate of the University of the West Indies with a background in energy planning and project management. Herbert is founder and president of Green Island Inc, a Caribbean energy sustainability consulting firm. Being always curious about "green" efforts in the Caribbean and those behind them, I had a few questions:


Laura: Your company, Green Island, Inc. is very exciting! Would you explain for my readers what it is Green Island, Inc. does in a nutshell?

Herbert: Green Island Inc is a consulting firm, specializing in renewable energy, energy efficiency and energy sustainability in the Caribbean. Right now we are working with several clients, mostly regional & international agencies, on projects ranging from project management (of renewable energy projects) to energy policy and planning studies. In addition to this, we’re doing Green Globe Certification audits this week in Barbados, next week in the Grenadines and in St Lucia soon after.

Laura: On a personal note, where is your favorite place to do some serious relaxing?

Herbert: Actually, at home! I have everything I need there; a view of the Grenadines from the side lawn, my music, my wife. We’re recently married and we both love to cook, so we’ve created our own little resort at home where we spend most of our spare time.

Laura: How fantastic that you live in the region! (I glance at my virtual beach with jealousy) Are you a native of St. Vincent & the Grenadines?

Herbert: Yes, I was born in Kingstown, St Vincent (1960) and have lived here for most of my life. I am also a citizen of St Lucia, having lived and worked there for 10 years from 1993 – 2003.

Photo is the view from Mr. Samuel's house... swoon...!