Friday, April 9, 2010

Polarized Lenses - Don't leave home without them!


As many couples do, my husband and I often engage in the common spousal debate of fashion vs. function. This topic comes most frequently when we discuss shoes. What woman doesn't feel sexiest in a pair of heels? It doesn't matter what type of day I've had, how terrible I feel physically, or if my clothes are suddenly fitting a bit more snug, if I slip into a pair of heels, I'm cured. So the heels win over comfortable flats 99.9% of the time.

My husband is an avid deep sea fisherman, born on an island, and raised by the sea. He can't remember when he first acquired a pair of sunglasses with polarized lenses but he does know he's never purchased anything else since. I never understood it, likely because the ocean was so beautiful to my naked eye. I've been to most Caribbean islands and spent months on the beach, but seeing the ocean each time is like seeing it for the first time... the view never gets old.


Last week, on our first day at the beach, I decided to take my 2 year old boogie boarding for the first time, complete with my new Jackie O shades (black with mother of pearl accents, LOVELY!) when we were attacked by a rouge wave. It came out of nowhere and was 3 to 4 feet higher than the others that day. My choice was simple - hold the child - not the glasses and so there they went. Gone in an instant and our vacation had only just begun. Luckily, Mr. Sangster had a spare pair of shades to last me until we reached Kingston this week and I could replace my own.

The borrowed glasses never left my head. (Tommy Bahama, brown, polarized - say no more.) If ever I thought I had seen the ocean again and again for the first time, this truly was a new experience. All of the colors popped, the depth of the sea floor was visible from every angle, the clouds glowed whiter in the blue background and I was smitten. So yes, polarized lenses are a fantastic thing. Here's the dilema, why are all glasses sold with polarized lenses the opposite of attractive, at least from the ladies persepective? Not much time to research as we are still in Jamaica, but as soon as we get home, I will be on a mission to find a stylish pair I can call all my own. Should you find any retailers that sell something of the sort, please share.

Enjoy!