Saturday, October 4, 2008

Bahamas 4 - What We Did

What we did was this... rented a moped and cruised around the entire island of New Providence. Great fun but safety first:

Our first stop was Fort Montagu... a miniturized fort in terms of Caribbean forts:Mr. Sangster is an amazing driver, having visited and driven in over 70 countries he understood this sign at first glance. Me... not so much. "Curves ahead?", I asked. Yes, I was right. But one could interpret it in many ways:
The local fish market had a retched smell... but not bad enough to sway our taste buds from getting excited about the huge lobsters and fresh conch. Not this little fisherboy - but a fisherman -told us he had seen a lobster as large as I! Fish tale or no?
I love old things. I could go antiquing for hours on end and never tire. I asked our friend Angela where to find the best antique store on the island. She said there weren't any because Bahamians don't like used items. Say it isn't so! I guess I will have to get my vintage fix from the crumbling architecture... like this building... how many times has it been painted?
In my mind I see a brothel with pirates and gals swinging from this porch... calling to the passersby below on a hot and steamy tropical night:
R.I.P Anna Nicole... truth be told, I read US Weekly:
Smile:
Aren't these bright red shutters divine?
Quiet and unimposing now, but likely full of life with vibrant song and colorful hats come Sunday Morning:
A room with a view:
Another room with a view and steeple: Back downtown and time to turn the chariot back over to its rightful owners. But not before a quick tour of the cruise port area... glad to see the local cooks were in place:

This is where the cruise ship passengers come and take glass bottom boat tours and ferry over to Atlantis. Around this corner is also the best place to rent mopeds:
This is the straw market. The NEW straw market - or really the temporary straw market. The original straw market, and the one I remember for trips during my childhood, burned down in 2001. This one is a tented structure and when the sky opened up and poured, the salty rain made its way through may holes in the tent and the vendors scrambled to cover their wares. What I didn't like was that I did not spot a single Bahamian artifact or souvenir in the entire market. So, I was left to purchase the only Bahamian thing I could find - a rusted Bahamian license plate. The only "antique" I would be bringing home from this trip! Everything was Made in China and stamped "Bahamas". Sickening. Apparently, there is very little local straw left due to rampant tree grazing development.

So here is what I did take home from our moped journey: A bottle of Conchy Joes Hot Sauce, locally made Pineapple & Coconut Jam, a snowglobe for Lily, and a wooden turtle for Baby B. (It looks locally made... but is not present at the moment because the children have taken it outside to play.)
We were back at our hotel, unwinding from our journey and were pleased to arrange a meeting with Sandals Royal Bahamian's General Manager, Mr. Robert Keesler. He filled me in on the exciting plans for the resort and on life in Nassau in general. He is a very caring and knowledgeable GM: