Tuesday, January 12, 2010

my {heart} is breaking...

for Haiti
follow @wyclef (Wyclef Jean) and Help Haiti Earthquake Relief Donate $5 by texting YELE to 501 501 right now! Go to http://www.yele.org/ for more info.

UPDATE: The easist way to help is to text "yele" to 510 510 and pledge $5 to Wyclef Jean's organization. Also - Oxfam, Unicef, American Red Cross, Ben Stiller's Stillerstrong, & Mercy Corp.

5 months ago... mid-August. The phones in our little office were quiet and the stifling Atlanta humidity had drained the last drop of motivation from me and I could no longer remain at my desk. I closed up shop early, grabbed the kids, towels, cool drinks, and my most recent issue of Conde Nast Traveler and headed down the street to the cool relief of the pool. To the back drop of laughter, rounds of Marco Polo, and constant splashing, I read the story that made me think I love Haiti too...

"You can call Haiti the Cleopatra of countries—its ravishing natural assets, thrilling history, and magnetic culture have long made select visitors swoon. Its tortured past, however, has made it the Caribbean nation that tourism largely forgot... more"

I read CNT and most other travel magazines from cover to cover every month. Not a one has shown Haiti in this light, if at all. Publications avoid it like the plague. Perhaps no one wants to sponsor a press trip to a destination that doesn't sell. Who goes to Haiti, after all? Amy Wilentz didn't care. She went and she loved and her story is incredible... so delicious that I've revisited it countless times. When I closed my magazine that day, rolled onto my stomach and stretched out on my towel, I was thankful. Thankful of the view of my happy, healthy children, cool and hydrated, doing what all children deserve to do - be kids. I was smitten with this place... a new place I had to visit, a place I knew I too would fall in love with... a place maybe I could help. I could picture myself sitting at my desk and breathing my excitement into the phone, convincing a few well qualified clients to take the same trip. {stay tuned}

And now, today... the earthquake. 7.0! I know this is serious. I found myself 6 miles from a 6.9 earthquake in 2004 and to this day, I'm still spooked. Help now.