Tuesday, September 21, 2010

An Inside View of Dominica

This weekend I had the opportunity to interview Anna McCanse - a Peace Corps Volunteer who served for two years on the island of Dominica. Since returning to the US, she's been writing an in-depth guide book about Dominica and was happy to share a little about her experience with us:

LAURA: When did you first visit Dominica and how long did you stay?

ANNA: I first stepped foot on Dominica as a Peace Corps Volunteer in 2006 and worked as an education volunteer in the village of Grand Bay for two years. Because the island is relatively small and I was there for so long I was able to really spend time and get to know all the different areas of the island, especially the Carib Territory which is one of my all-time favorite places in the world. I went back again in 2010 to do research for the book and it was just as charming the second time around.


 L

  LAURA: The Peace Corp is an amazing organization – were you able to choose Dominica?  Or did you just get lucky that they assigned you to such an amazing island?

ANNA: I didn’t get to choose where I was placed.  All I knew when I got my assignment was that I’d be in the Eastern Caribbean.  We were first sent to St. Lucia where we did a month of training and on one of the last days of training they revealed which island we’d be spending the next two years of our lives.  We had a day to soak it in and were shipped out the following the day.  I feel incredibly lucky to have been placed in Dominica.  When the plane landed I was overwhelmed with relief and excitement, knowing that if all else fails, I was in one of the most beautiful places on earth.  I can’t imagine a better place to spend two years.   And coincidentally, my parents had just spent a couple of weeks in Dominica before I was assigned there.  They knew they wanted to go on a vacation to the Caribbean but didn’t want a “touristy” destination since they prefer to travel places where they can get to know the culture and the people and they fell in love with it.  So they were really excited when I was placed there and came back to visit me twice.



 LAURA: I’ve always considered Dominica a fantastic off-the-beaten path destination for singles, couples, and families – would you agree?

ANNA: Definitely- Dominica’s tourism industry has been growing leaps and bounds in the past few years and they are really marketing themselves as an eco-destination for people who are interested in the outdoors, cultural activities, and sustainable development.  And the range of activities is endless. For families there is horseback riding, whale watching,  hikes to waterfalls, snorkeling, kayaking, beaches, and rivers.  And for those who want a more extreme vacation there are some really outstanding and challenging hikes to places like the boiling lake (yep, it’s actually boiling), secret beaches, hidden waterfalls, and a new canyoning (think rappelling through waterfalls) company just opened up in the interior.   The office of tourism just started doing “community tours” which are day-long outings that highlight local farms, culture and areas of interest in villages throughout the island.  I highly recommend visiting a local farm- it’s fascinating to see where our fruits, spices, and nuts come from-including chocolate, which is seriously delicious as a fruit. 
I had over 30 visitors when I lived there of all ages and ability levels and when they left, they all had the same sentiments: I wish I had stayed longer, I have to come back.



LAURA: What was your favorite local dish on the island?

ANNA: That’s a tough one.  I love chicken paleau- it’s a spiced rice dish with vegetables and chicken.  But second place winners are steamed fish dishes, rotis (an Indian-inspired wrap), any and all ital food (organic vegan food that many Rastafarians ascribe to) and if I’m at a festival or street party I’m a happy gal if I can get my hands on a roasted plantain, a fresh coconut, and some local juice.   There’s also this guy in Roseau (the capital) that makes the most amazing smoothies on the planet.  His name is J.B., also called Juice Man, and he blends up organic local fruits and juice into these incredible concoctions.  It’s making me thirsty just thinking about it…


    
LAURA: What do you consider the Top 3 MUST SEE places on the island?

ANNA: Well that’s a tough one also.  If you’re in good physical shape, the boiling lake hike is a must: you get a taste of everything on that hike: hot pools, a waterfall at Titou Gorge,  a peak ascent with amazing views, parrot sightings in the rainforest, and some really interesting geological features in the Valley of Desolation that you have to pass through.  It’s tough but really fascinating the entire way.  And I would recommend visiting a waterfall: Sari Sari is my favorite, and then I would spend at least part of a day diving or snorkeling in the southwest.  Dominica was rated one of the top dive destinations in the Caribbean because of it’s unspoiled reefs and it’s common to find yourself swimming alongside a sea turtle when diving or snorkeling in the Soufrieré/Scotts Head Marine Reserve. 

LAURA: Thanks so much Anna! I look forward to reading your guidebook as soon as it comes out!

ANNA: Thanks to you as well.  The book should be on shelves in January and part of the proceeds of each book sold will be donated to a charitable organization in Dominica.   Check out the website closer to publication for more info on that: Dominica by Others Places Publishing

There are two more Other Places Publishing books about the Caribbean as well that your readers may be interested in: Antigua, which is already out and the Dominican Republic, which will be out in late 2011.  Both of which are also written by former Peace Corps Volunteers.  Thanks, Laura!

Enjoy,