Friday, March 7, 2008

Restaurant Review - Madame Janette Aruba

I am a foodie. I have always said that if I did not have a career in travel, it would be in food! On what level, who knows. But I enjoy food because I have learned that eating is an experience for all 5 senses. Before any trip, I compulsively research the BEST restaurants at my destination. I make reservations safely in advance and each day while I lie on the beach, hike through rainforests or scour markets for local bargains, I am looking forward to dinner. I can't remember how I found Madame Janette in Aruba, but on my first trip to the island I did and I am thrilled at having done so. Madame Janette is off the beaten path, not located seaside but rather in the flat arid interior of the island. The restaurant is housed in a tiny unassuming cottage. You may dine indoors or outdoors in the courtyard. As if the multitude of stars in the sky were not enough to set the mood, the entire courtyard is strung with twinkling little lights that dance and flicker all evening. The food is the BEST on the island by far. The restaurant has been winning awards and acclamations for years now and I couldn't agree more. The menu has changed since my first visit but remains today true to the restaurant's promise of fresh and innovative cuisine and perfect wine pairings. Enjoy!