Thursday, March 27, 2008

Tale of a Cancelled Flight

Prior to travel, many of my clients ask what would happen if their flight is cancelled. In 11+ years of taking 3-4 Caribbean trips a year, I found myself stranded for the very first time on Tuesday. On the few occasions where my flight has been cancelled in the past, I was quickly re- booked on another flight or if none were available from the ticketing airline, then I was moved to another airline and only inconvenienced with a minor variation in my flight plan. We spent Easter Weekend in Port Antonio, Jamaica - an amazing place located about 2 hours from Kingston and 4 from Montego Bay. Therefore, we flew in and out of Kingston. While we were on the drive from PA to Kingston to catch our 3PM flight, we received a phone call that the Air Jamaica flight attendants were conducting a "sick out". Similar to a strike, a "sick out" occurs when airline employees call in sick to protest. While I don't have room here to discuss the politics of what they were fighting for, my flight was cancelled and it was the last flight of the day. Air Jamaica was very accommodating despite the incident. By the time we arrived at the airport, they had hotel and restaurant vouchers waiting for us and we were quickly transported to our Kingston hotel to enjoy the pool... we were confirmed on the same flight the following day and made it home without incident! So, there you have it... possibly what to expect should your flight be cancelled.