Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Book Review - The Pirate's Daughter

The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson was a fabulous read! I love to read, and find that I have much more time to do so on vacation. So before any trip, I search for books related to my destination. For my recent trip to Port Antonio, Jamaica I got lucky and my mother sent me The Pirate's Daughter. Based on true facts, but essentially a work of fiction, the book is set in the time when Errol Flynn first came to Jamaica. It details his hunt for his own private piece of paradise, his purchase and development of Navy Island, his love affair with a local girl, and ends with their lovechild living during the restless 70's - a turbulent time in Jamaica. The story is certainly entertaining enough, but the poignant descriptions of the location (Which, having recently been, ring absolutely true!) of Port Antonio's lushness, pristine waters, sweltering heat, lovely flora,looming nearby mountains are entirely worth the read!