Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Recipe: The Hummingbird

I discovered the Hummingbird on my first trip to Jamaica 8 years ago. I fell fast for the creamy rich concoction and spent years trying to recreate it before returning to Jamaica. With a palate that longs for savory + sweet flavor combinations, this drink soon became my all time favorite in Jamaica. The slight nuttiness of the coffee liquor and the buttery rum cream combined with the sugary sweet strawberry syrup and smoothness of a real banana makes for perfect satisfaction ANY time of day. And by anytime, I do mean that it is the hummingbird I ask for when I stroll past the bar before noon and justify my longing with the cliche "Its 5 o'clock somewhere..." Enjoy!

1 fluid ounce rum cream liqueur
1 fluid ounce coffee flavored liqueur
1 fluid ounce milk
1/2 fluid ounce strawberry flavored syrup
1/2 fresh banana
1 cup crushed ice

Combine first 4 ingredients in blender then add banana and ice and blend until desired consistency.