Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Caribbean Houses - Interview with Michael Connors

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Dr. Michael Connors about his new book, Caribbean Houses. I have been a fan of Dr. Connors since I purchased his first book in a tiny Caribbean airport many years ago.


Laura: I thoroughly enjoyed your most recent book, Caribbean Houses. As I turned the last page, and having read your other books, I couldn’t help but wonder if this is it. Do you feel you have seen most of the historical homes remaining in the region? Or are there more homes you plan to explore and feature?

Dr. Connors: I have basically just touched the tip of the iceberg on the subject. I don't know if you could know them all in a lifetime. As a matter of fact, I will be spending the winter in Cuba writing a book on the Historic Houses of Cuba, which will be published by Rizzoli in 2011.

Laura: What was the strongest influence in your life that caused you to fall for the Caribbean? (Aside from the obvious allure that calls so many of us…)

Dr. Connors: I was sailing the Caribbean in an 86 foot Baltic Trader called the VESTLAND in 1968. The VESTLAND stopped in St. Croix and anchored in Christiansted Harbor. I met a woman the next day fell in love and jumped ship!

Laura: What home do you consider to be the greatest historical preservation?

Dr. Connors: There isn't a best one, but I'll tell you a few that I'm particularly fond of: Cane Garden Great House and Whim Plantation Great House in St. Croix, the White House in Salt Cay, Turks and Caicos Islands, Habitation Clement in Martinique, in Jamaica, Rose Hall and Good Hope Plantation and Ascension Landhuis (Great House) in Curacao. Of course there are many more.

Laura: St. Croix constantly exceeds my expectations and those of my clients. Primarily, because of the true island feel, uniqueness to the other US Virgin Islands, and pristine beaches. What reasons led you to make a home here, over other islands?

Dr. Connors: My parents spent a lot of time there so I ended up being there and falling in love as I mentioned before, then finding a teaching job... it's an easy place to gravitate for an American in the Caribbean - and it's gorgeous as you say. I love to sail and St. Croix is a good way-station for sailors.

Laura: I enjoyed the piece in Traditional Home showcasing your New York home. With such a talented and educated eye, it must be hard to narrow down all the pieces you come across to those that will work in your own homes.

Dr. Connors: My father was an architect/ interior designer who collected and appreciated antiques - this is the environment I grew up in so it was almost bred in the bone. My different homes are filled with beautiful and interesting antiques and fine art from the Caribbean, but I'm constantly upgrading and selling from my collection. The collection in my homes is like a revolving door; every year it looks different.

Laura: I believe in the Traditional Home article it also mentioned your emotion at happening upon discarded mahogany furniture while in the islands. I felt a kindred moment reading this, because I have witnessed heirloom quality pieces being left to rot on my jaunts off-the-beaten island path. What is your most incredible found treasure?

Dr. Connors: The most incredible found treasure was an original Reginal McFarlane (who was a 19th Century cabinet maker on St. Croix and descended of enslaved Africans) four post mahogany bedstead that I found in a dumpster while disposing of some household trash. I couldn't believe my eyes seeing the tops of four posts sticking out with original head board and foot board at the bottom of the dumpster. The only thing missing were the side rails.

Read more here & buy Caribbean Houses here! Enjoy!

Michael Connors is a contributor to numerous trade journals, including Art & Antiques and The Magazine Antiques, and he has written many books, including Caribbean Elegance, French Island Elegance, and Cuban Elegance. He lives in New York City, St. Croix, and Deer Isle, Maine.