Thursday, March 4, 2010

Best Caribbean Travel Apps for iPhone

This is a very ambitious post for me because I have not yet reached the ideal level of comfort one desires with today's technology. However, I am a recent convert to the cult of Mac and am enjoying the honeymoon stage with my iPhone. 

I'll be taking a Caribbean Vacation for two weeks at the end of this month and I have begun my research for the apps I want to use on my trip. I've downloaded them, read the reviews, and tested them out as best I can from home. Check back in mid-April to see my reviews of each.


Skype - Who doesn't love Skype? Ok - I am sure there are plenty of you. In our house it is a staple because my husband and I have settled in a town where we have no family. Our relatives are keeping house everywhere from San Francisco, Jamaica, Italy, New Zealand & more. Skype keeps us in touch and allows our kids to see a live picture of their relatives. I've heard that the Skype App, when connected to a local Wi-Fi, will allow you to make free calls. Its FREE, let's see how it works on the beach!


The Coconut Connection by RumShopRyan - I'm satisfied just by the name, but guess what? Ryan is a real person and is quickly developing his own cult of follows in the virtual Caribbean. His app will keep you connected to his Caribbean themed tweets and his guidebook coverage of the islands. The icon alone is worth the download, plus its FREE.

Oanda Currency Converter - US Dollars are widely accepted in the Caribbean but most avid travelers will agree, you will save a few pennies if you pay with local currency. We also like to exchange currency as a way to educate our daughter on the process. Good news! The Oanda Converter has exchange rates loaded for the Eastern Caribbean Dollar & Jamaican Dollar. FREE!


Gate Guru -  I like to eat, so I like this one. GateGuru let's you know what restaurants are located near your gate and features a review forum so you can let others know how much you loved or hated your meal. It has listings for ATMs, children's play areas, and First Class Lounges too. This one likely won't have info on locations available at Caribbean airport we are arriving at - but should help us navigate the new terminal we are flying out of. FREE for now.

Flashlight - Have you ever been in the Caribbean when the power goes out? If it happens on your first or second night, you might not be familiar with your surroundings and after a few cocktails, this could be very dangerous. The Flashlight app will come in very handy. FREE!


Postman - Create and send virtual postcards to let friends & family know how your trip is going. This one is a tough sell for me, not because of the $1.99 price but because I am a huge fan of pretty paper and prefer pen & ink. However, this app would be a great tool for a bride or groom having a Destination Wedding and wanting a unique way to update any relatives unable to make the trip.

Are there any others you've found helpful on your Caribbean adventures?

Enjoy,