Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Trip to Sandals Grande Antigua

I just returned from four splendid days on the island of Antigua. It was a lovely trip, albeit very last minute and I arrived much like a hurricane. Sandals Grande Antigua was the host hotel for my stay. It was my first time to the property since they completed the Mediterranean Village. Aside from the first two days of rain, I have only good things to say.

This is what you see when you first arrive. The hand painted ceiling of the lobby on your left and the picture perfect Caribbean Sea straight ahead:


I took time to wander the entire property. While I enjoyed my suite accommodations on the Mediterranean Village, I loved the lush look of the original Caribbean Grove section. If you are booked in the Caribbean Grove in a concierge room, this is where you would check-in:


While you walk to your charming West Indian cottage style accommodation, you will pass a few hidden pools... Sandals Grande Antigua has a total of 9 pools, not counting the private ones found in the villa accommodations:



Pure West Indian bliss:


If you do book a unit with a private pool, it will look something like this:



Before we move over to the new Mediterranean Side, I need to tell you that my favorite restaurant Kimonos, is located in the Caribbean Grove - seriously good Japanese fare:


This was the view from my room. Every day, all day beautiful seabirds would fly past my balcony and seemingly float in the air before then gracefully swooped on past and through the gardens below:


This is the main building in the Mediterranean Village. I stayed in a Mediterranean Honeymoon Penthouse 1 Bedroom Suite with Ocean View & Private Butler. It was amazing. I broke my wide angle lens so my photos are not that great - you can check out all the rooms online here.


My second favorite restaurant is Barefoot by the Sea... the amazingly fresh beer battered Mahi Mahi and the Grilled Swordfish Salad were my top choices:


More lush gardens on the Mediterranean side:



And then the beach - perfect white sand & turquoise water:



Facing West, each night ended with an amazing sunset:


A huge THANK YOU to the General Manager, Mr. Gerald Christ, for hosting our amazing stay!


Ready to go? I'd be happy to help you plan & book your trip! Drop me a line: Laura@CaribbeanJourney.com

To see more photos of my trip, go here.

Enjoy,