Friday, March 11, 2011

My Visit to Jade Mountain - St. Lucia

I recently returned from the island of St. Lucia. My husband and I booked a last minute "babymoon" in attempts to squeeze in one last trip before our summer addition arrives. I selected St. Lucia as most of my favorite resorts on the island cater to adults only and I knew this would be the last chance we'd have to enjoy an adult experience for the next few years.


By luck alone, we were able to find a room available at Jade Mountain, the island's newest premier resort. Comprised of 29 suites, Jade Mountain is a small up-market property to be appreciated by aficionados of modern art, eco-luxury, and an extremely high level of personalized service.

We were met with cool scented towels and a refreshing house speciality {non-alcoholic} to sip on while we were shown to our suite. While these two offerings are commonplace at most resorts now, somehow being pregnant, I was more appreciative for the relief they provided than ever before.


{View from our private pool to the Twin Pitons}

We stayed in JE1, one of two Galaxy Suites. In the past 12 years, I’ve visited almost every island, most more than once and have been lucky enough to stay at many of the Caribbean’s finest hotels. The Galaxy Suite is hands down my favorite room... 





If you can even call it a room. The Suites at Jade Mountain bear more resemblance to a chic studio living experience with wide expansive spaces housing private plunge pools, open air bathrooms complete with a shower and whirlpool for two, full dining table, two sitting areas, and a bed that dreams are made of. Both the pool and the whirlpool have color therapy installations, only adding to 

the serenity of the suite.

Swimming is one of the most comforting activities for a pregnant woman. At a time when weight gain is inevitable, to float and feel weightless is revitalizing. Booking a room with a private plunge pool is a must when you are expecting. The private pools en suite at Jade Mountain aren't really plunge pools at all, as they are much larger than any we've ever experienced.













We spent time at both of the beautiful beaches on property, preferring the more tranquil and quite Anse Mamin. I started my tropical adventure 13 years ago, exploring Central America in search of the most private and pristine beaches. I found many worthy of committing to, but my heartstrings pulled tighter to the Caribbean and so that is where I’ve dedicated my career. I have to say, spending the day on Anse Mamin, brought me back 13 years to the quiet days on private picturesque beaches without a care in the world. 


The Jungle Grill is located on Anse Mamin and from the second we arrived at Jade Mountain, we were told that the Grill was home to the best burger on the planet. Not being a meat eater, but married to one, I witnessed sheer joy as my husband devoured what he agreed was the BEST burger ever. (This from a man who has been to 73 countries and you name it, he’s consumed it.)


At night, we traded the simple beach fare for the upscale and artistic cuisine of the Jade Mountain Club. Our butler had confirmed our reservations before we arrived on property, ensuring us a choice seating. Dining at Jade Mountain Club was not a meal, but a culinary experience. The menu is divided into four areas and you may select dishes from each area to create your own customized tasting menu. Each bite compliments the next as you work your way through Caribbean fusion cuisine at its finest.  


After dinner, we retreated to the top level of Jade Mountain for a celestial showcase. One of the best features of nighttime at the resort, were the sheer number of stars visible. I can not recall a time in my life when I've seen more stars in the sky.  They were so close, we felt as if we could reach up and swirl them with our fingertips and make entirely new constellations. 
The shapes of the majestic Pitons were visible simply from being illuminated by the stars and one knowing that in the dark shadows where the stars didn't shine, they sat majestically. 


The sustainable luxury of Jade Mountain is most impressive. The tropical woods and local stones help the hotel to blend seamlessly into the dramatic landscape.  Spending time on this part of the island makes me wonder why a visitor to St. Lucia would want to stay anywhere else. Sourfriere and the surrounding area has a feel all its own, mystical, magical, certainly off the beaten path. Mass tourism does not exist here and hopefully never will.  The beauty is breathtaking and I don’t think you ever get used to it no matter how long you stay. Every single time I glanced up and saw the Pitons, searing toward the sky in their regal form, I felt my heart beat faster, simply from being taken aback by the beauty.  There are no words, and though many have tried, no pictures that capture how impressive Jade Mountain really is. You simply must visit Jade Mountain and experience it for yourself.


Jade Mountain Babymoon Highlights:
  • Amazingly attentive staff anticipating all of your needs in advance.
  • Personal Butler – traveling while pregnant is exhausting and having someone on hand to assist with spa appointments, dinner reservations, and more, was fantastic.
  • Pregnancy Massage - a must!
  • Bento Box of snacks refreshed every afternoon and perfect for “après-beach”.
  • On demand shuttle service between both beaches and up and down to your room.
  • Private en suite pools - available in 24 of the 29 suites.
Jade Mountain is not only perfect for a Babymoon Vacation, but also for a honeymoon, anniversary trip, or Destination Wedding.

If you'd like a custom quote on a luxury vacation to Jade Mountain in St. Lucia, please contact me and I'd be happy to help!

Jump over here for more of my photos from Jade Mountain.

Enjoy,