Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Blue Lagoon, Port Antonio, Jamaica



I've been to the Blue Lagoon before. The first time was 2001. Back then, the Jamaica Tourist Board took a more active role in marketing Port Antonio. We flew into the small airport just outside of town. We stayed at a hotel that is not currently operating called Dragon Bay. {If you saw the movie Cocktail with Tom Cruise, you know the beach and the famous beach bar.} But that was then. In the years since, I've been lucky enough to spend about 5 Easters in Port Antonio and I make it a point with each visit, to return to the Blue Lagoon.

And this is why...


It is simply MAGICAL...

I'll visit any way I can... usually by rising early to walk down the long and winding hill from our home-away-from-home at Goblin Hill Villas. This year, we succumbed to the offers to take a bamboo raft into the lagoon and swim.


 

The ride was relaxing to the point I almost dozed off - that was, until my husband decided to add a little adventure to the trip and jump in the shallow flats in front of the lagoon and capture a sea creature for our son:


Success and oh so spiny....


Fascination with hands on nature is.... better than any classroom...


The Blue Lagoon is adjacent to some of the prized real estate in the Caribbean. These waterfront villas sell for millions but rent for pretty reasonable rates - ask me about renting one for your next villa vacation.


Then we finally reached the lagoon and took a swim in the cool water. The lagoon is reportedly 186 feet deep. I figure that must be 15-16 stories - right? That's DEEP and the reason behind the water's amazing hue - not quite blue, not quite green - truly the closest thing to turquoise I've even seen...


After an hour swimming, our raft guides returned to pick us up... 


Priceless...


a trip to remember

Cheers,