Monday, September 22, 2008

Michael Connors Antiques - True Caribbean Luxe

I have three of Mr. Connors's books and I lust over them quite often. His books, think indulgent picture books for adults, transport the reader to a time in the Caribbean when local craftsmanship included much more than carved masks and beaded necklaces. Try luxurious four-poster mahogany beds, planter's chairs, and marble topped console tables. Imagine an era where dinner was always served on fine English china, guests were seated around large polished mahogany tables adorned with 24" hurricane shades shielding flickering candles from the constant sea breeze that always found its way through the many open windows. Humidity so thick you could feel the weight of the air on your shoulders as you leaned back to take a long cooling drink of refreshment. That is the scene that plays out in my mind as I gently flip through Mr. Connors's books... More than any brochure that has crossed my desk, his books have the strongest "take me there now" effect. My favorite vacation spots are a few historic Caribbean villas, showcasing their own collections of rich antiques. They are seafront mansions lovingly cared for and graciously offered for rent.

If you have ever been to Paris, you will agree that the French have a 6th sense, a birthright of sorts, that makes them keenly aware of fine antiques. Sometimes, as I yearn for this sacred knowledge, I realize what is a French birthright, can be an acquired talent all my own. And this book is aiding my education:


I have yet to visit Cuba, but come hell or embargo, I will make it there in the next 5 years. And this book gets me so excited about my future trip:

Not only has Mr. Conners done a fabulous job of organizing pictures that speak into 3 lovely books, but being a connoisseur of West Indian Art & Antiques, he offers his expertise to the public through his NYC showroom and website. As expected, he live what he sells. This article in Traditional Home Magazine features his personal space, a marriage of Art Deco and West Indian delights that are certainly inspirational. Enjoy!