Saturday, May 1, 2010

A very good answer

I was up in Cambridge today, but alas no chance to go punting as was there for a memorial service.

Afterwards was wandering around the college when in one room my eye was caught by a pair of old globes. One one was of the Earth, the other the nights sky. They were beauties, very faded, but on the latter the constellations were clearly marked out and it still rotated smoothly around its bronze axis.

What's their story, I asked our host.

They were a gift to the college from Isaac Newton, was the answer.

OK I admit I was impressed by that.


Updated: Given the post above a story of Queen Victora and the Cam. Apparently she visited in the times before the sewage system had been built and asked the Master of Trinity, who was showing her the college, what the pieces of paper were floating down the river. With admirable speed of thought Dr Whewell replied "Those, ma'am, are notices that bathing is forbidden."

Another very good answer!