Friday, June 26, 2009

Book Review - The Reaper of Souls

Publisher's Summary: On 1 September, 1957, an excursion train left Montego Bay on its return trip to Kingston and met disaster halfway there. Dangerously overcrowded, it had rushed down towards Jamaica's central plains on its way back to the capital. Sometime after midnight, in wet conditions, the train derailed near Kendal, Manchester, creating a horrific tangle of wood, glass, steel and torn bodies. Of the 254 lives lost, 14, nearly 6 percent of the dead, were members of Beverley East's family.

In my own words: This is a truly gripping tale of how tragedy can form one's live and make us change course completely. I enjoyed this book primarily for its poignant view of Caribbean life and most importantly, for a glimpse into times-gone-by and the Jamaica of yesteryear. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. I picked up my copy at the airport in Kingston in April. You can order yours here.




Photo of Ms. East from here.