Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Corn Islands, Nicaragua...

Yes, its true. There are islands named for one of God's smartest creations... CORN. It's been around a real long time... fed the masses... and the farm animals too... and therefore worthy of sharing it's name with a few little dots of paradise...


The Corn Islands of Nicaragua


I have a personal connection to this place...


It was rainy. Windy. Stormy actually. October. A birthday. Someone special. Someone who set me on the travel path to the person I am today... a birthday. We missed the boat. The plane refused to fly. And time was short. Duties were calling from across borders.... and I never made it to the Corn Islands. Sadness. So it was... one more night in Bluefields... Hot. Steamy. I'm talking about the weather. One fan... one little fan... and one little tape player. I think it was Celine Dion... dubbed from the local market, of course. A notebook. And rain. Lots of rain.

I am sure these little islands are not quite the same as they were 12 years ago... I am sure there are now TVs in every house... and phones too. Gosh... there might even be cell phone service. I don't want to know. Because one of these days I am going to make it to these Corn Islands and I hope I find them as dreamy as my dreams from 1997...
I want to sleep here...
I want to eat this... with lots of butter.... and an ice cold Victoria... (the brew de Nica)
Keep your pleasure palace... just give me an island or two... BIG or little... Let me walk your path... dear girl in the picture? Are you there? I'm tapping my ruby slippers just to be you for one more day...

Photo Credits: 1. here 2 & 3. this girl's cool blog 4. here 5. say it isn't so... msnbc